Just a fraction of the cool stuff I learned when researching women’s history.
Sat, Aug 2 @ 2:15 AM
Omg, so I’m actually not this bad at making screencap redraws or whatever.
Latin@ Lady & the Tramp this time.
Sat, Aug 2 @ 2:14 AM
william shakespeare wrote a black italian lead but ofc there cant be any poc in frozen its in europe
Sat, Aug 2 @ 2:11 AM
Sat, Aug 2 @ 2:10 AM
So, here’s a thing I’ve seen happen:
- People get really into social justice theory
- and then they read a lot from people who all agree with each other
- and then they assume that everyone in that group agrees
- and then, when they encounter someone in that group who doesn’t think that thing, they don’t know how to deal with them
- or they’re rude and condescending
- Someone who reads a lot of disability theory is excited about the idea of acceptance
- And, in particular, the reasons that mobility equipment is liberating and wonderful
- And they encounter someone who is enduring considerable pain rather than use a wheelchair
- And then they talk at them about how they just need to accept themself already, without listening to where they’re actually coming from
- That is not respectful. It can sometimes be ok to express an opinion or offer advice (emphasis on offer; people can say no to hearing your advice), but it’s not ok to try and run someone else’s life, or to take control of their self image, or related stuff
- Respecting someone has to start with respecting them as people who think for themselves, not trying to make them do what you think self-respecting people do
keep in mind that:
- No matter how much you’ve read, you’ve never been the person you’re talking to
- That goes double if you’re not a member of their group, but it applies even if you are
- Having read a lot of social justice theory, or even being part of that group and having found that it described your experience, does *not* mean that you know better than someone else how they should be living their life
- Don’t try to take people over, and don’t talk down to them
- The last thing marginalized people need is yet another person trying to run over them for their own good. They get that enough already
People are complicated, and you are never the expert on someone else’s life. Reading social justice theory, and even being really insightful about what’s wrong with our culture, does not make you an expert on someone else’s life. Their life is for them to live and make decisions about. Marginalized people are not revolution objects.
Sat, Aug 2 @ 2:09 AM
Sat, Aug 2 @ 2:05 AM
Expectations Vs. Reality / Game of thrones
Sat, Aug 2 @ 1:58 AM
Treble clefs by (L to R) Bach, Haydn, Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert, Mendelssohn, Schumann, Brahms, Debussy, and Ravel.
all musicians across all time periods: “fuck how does that thing go”
Beethoven didn’t even try
Sat, Aug 2 @ 1:56 AM
apparently e.l. james called former child star mara wilson (matilda) a “sad f**k” for critiquing the 50shades books a while ago and now there’s a feud. i love it.
Sat, Aug 2 @ 1:54 AM
has a muslim man ever played abraham lincoln
has an aboriginal woman ever played elizabeth I
has a black man ever played george washington
has a turkish woman ever played eleanor of aquitaine
then why the fuck would you get the whitest white men to play Ramesses II and Moses
Sat, Aug 2 @ 1:44 AM
captain america: the winter soldier gag reel
Sat, Aug 2 @ 1:38 AM